Exploring

Exploring
Twenty feet above the Mississippi River

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My First Dialysis of the Trip

Well, if you read Gabriel's blog you discovered the bit of trouble we had finding the dialysis center this morning, just a minor glitch.  Gabriel was a little upset to think his directions were not accurate but he recovered soon enough.  The DaVita dialysis unit in Grand Island, NE was very good. I'm going to use a 1-5 kidney scale to rate the units as I go along. Consequently today's unit gets a 4. My nurse, Tami, was very capable and canulated me quickly, aptly and without causing me any discomfort (I have a nerve near the venous site that is sometimes hit). I am very used to and comfortable with all my family at my home unit at Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, NY, but I look forward to meeting other dialysis caregivers in other units on this trip.  Everyone today was very professional and quite nice.  The biggest difference I noticed was the cleanliness. I guess I would say the DaVita unit was messier than I am used to--not dirty but messy and cluttered.  In all fairness this particular unit is moving into a new and larger facility soon, so I think that issue will resolve itself. I was most impressed with the attention paid to infection control.  Always a good, good thing.  I am happy to report I went on, on time, always a bonus when you have to sit 4 hours tethered in a chair.  The other plus was the chair was cozy and heated--yes, it had a heating unit built right in.  Nice. Unlike my Bassett unit, no frills were had at the DaVita unit, no linen, no blankets, no pillows, no ice, but all in all a very pleasurable experience.  Just like I expected it would be.  Love to all my readers from Scottsbluff, NE.

No comments:

Post a Comment