Exploring
Twenty feet above the Mississippi River
Monday, August 27, 2012
Down to the wire
Well the time to leave is getting closer, and this week I must pack enough clothes for at least 10 to 14 days (I hope I can do some laundry somewhere along the way), all my medicine, put some books on my Kindle, clean the car, then off we go. At the mention of books, my wonderful husband reads to me, we almost always have a book going, and right now in preperation of our trip we are reading Travels with Charley by one of our favorite authors, John Steinbeck, a wonderful account of a cross-country trip Steinbeck took with his dog, Charley. A must read if you've haven't. We just finished Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon,a splendid book about a journey along America's back roads. I want you to know that what prompted the trip, especially to the western part of America, were books written by Edward Abbey like The Monkey-Wrench Gang and Desert Solitaire. After Gabriel read these books to me I was smitten, and just had to feel and absorb the America Abbey wrote about. So you can understand better what I hope to get out of this trip and share with you. Westward Ho!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWill you be traveling along the Lincoln Highway during your drive? It's called "The Loneliest Road in America," with good reason - but the solitude of endless stretches of two-lane blacktop is well worth it as you pass through some of the most glorious geography on the planet, particularly in the more western states of Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. Wherever your spirits lead you, I and your faithful readers will be hanging on every word as you and Gabriel navigate the uncharted waters of dialysis and cross-country driving. Safe travels to both of you!
ReplyDeleteThis is compelling reading. I'm looking forward to your next blog entries. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
ReplyDelete